Let´s learn how to use what and which in different situations.
What: is used when there is an unlimited choice (lots of possibilities).What + noun
– What color is your shirt?
– What time is it?
What is used for general questions.
– What car would you like to buy?
– What is the capital of Australia?
– What are you doing?
Which: is used where there is a limited choice (fewer possibilities).
Which + noun (things or people)
– Which bus did you catch -the 8 or the 9-?
– Which lawyer did you see -Dr. Dohan or Dr. Jill-?
We use which without a noun for things, not people.
– Which is bigger Africa or Asia?
– Which is better Nike or Adidas?
We use which when we have a limited option. Which for choices and limited groups.
– Among these five jackets, which is yours?
– Which beer do you prefer, Corona or Budweiser?
– Which browser do you use, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?